At George Tomlinson we follow the Waltham Forest SACRE agreed syllabus. The Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE) is responsible for determining the syllabus for religious education (RE) in council-run or funded schools in Waltham Forest.
The religious education curriculum is approached through the exploration of all the major world religions.
Our school reflects the multi-faith community of Leytonstone and we celebrate different religious festivals and events in whole school assemblies and celebrations.
In the teaching of R.E. we aim to:
- promote an open and objective approach to religious education
- assist pupils in benefiting from religious education regardless of their personal faith
- help pupils appreciate diversity and develop respect for others
- encourage a reflective attitude to life and an openness to exploring questions for meaning, purpose and value.
If you wish to withdraw your child from all or part of religious education, you will need to make an appointment to speak to the Headteacher.
Through Religious Education children learn:
- To encourage respect and tolerance of the beliefs of others
- To extend their understanding of different religions
- To enhance their ability to respond to matters of ideology and ethical values.