Year 5 learning newsletters
PE: Every Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Please help your child to remember to wear their P.E. kit to school.
Swimming: Swimming lessons took place in Autumn term.
Library: 5 Obama visits our enchanted school library on Tuesdays. 5 Gandhi visits on Thursdays.
WOW Day: Tuesday 10th January, 2023
5 Gandhi Class Assembly: Thursday 2nd March, 2023
5 Obama Class Assembly: Thursday 9th March, 2023
FOCUS: vocabulary, metaphor
Model text: The Tyger by Willam Blake
Model text: Just So Stories
Model text: Floodland
In addition to the above, pupils will focus on:
Planning writing by identifying the audience for and purpose of the writing, selecting the appropriate form and using other similar writing as models for their own Continuing to distinguish between homophones and other words which are often confused
- Drafting and writing by selecting appropriate grammar and vocabulary, understanding how such choices can change and enhance meaning Writing legibly, fluently and with increasing speed
- Using relative clauses beginning with a relative pronoun (i.e., who, which, where, when, whose, that)
- Using a dictionary and a thesaurus
- Using a wide range of punctuation (i.e. including hyphens to avoid ambiguity)
In Maths, we are continuing to Teach for Mastery. The mastery approach will help children to develop a deep understanding of topics before moving on. We use the CPA approach (concrete, pictorial & abstract). This term, we’ll be looking at:
- Multiplication and Division Fractions
- Decimals and Percentages Perimeter and Area Statistics